Lizzy McAlpine’s Growing ‘Older’

The heartfelt introduction to her upcoming album

If Lizzy McAlpine fans thought they already knew her pretty well, then they probably haven’t listened to the diary that is “Older.” The talented songwriter—whose alternative music is for those who want to cry, scream and sing-along at the same time—has thrown her fans for a loop.

After deleting all of her instagram posts on Jan. 23, McAlpine began promoting her third studio album “Older,” set to be released on April 5. After nearly three years of perfecting, McAlpine referred to the upcoming record as “the rawest and most honest version of [herself].”

She released one song from the album on Feb. 13, labeled with the same title as the record. “Older” has already become a fan favorite. With a melodic piano progression and McAlpines ethereal voice, once again, she has struck the heartstrings of listeners.

Her single “Older” evokes a recognizable familiarity as her writing is effortlessly enjoyable. However listeners can recognize the newness and depth that her new album is going to introduce. With raw vocals and a simplistic music video to go along with it. It’s clear, fans are in for a treat.

“Her music is very relaxing and relatable, and I love going on long drives while listening to her songs,” said Summit senior Ramsey Starr.

And unlike her previously released work, McAlpine decided to create her music much differently than before.

“The music that I’ve released up to this point in my career has been heavily produced and perfected, to the point where I don’t even recognize myself in it anymore. This album is the complete opposite,” said McAlpine in an article by Under the Radar.

She shared that the majority of “Older” was recorded live, which allowed her individuality to shine through the music. 

“The passion in [the studio] space translates into the recorded music so much more than anything I’ve done before, and it has created a record that, in my opinion, is the best I’ve ever made,” said McApline.

So for those who have obsessed over her hit “Ceilings,” are either longtime fans, or are in desperate need for some new music, look no further. As it’s clear that many Summit students will be marking the days of their calendars until “Older” (the album) is released.