Skyliner Spins Again

After a year and all-new equipment, Skyliner is back
Skyliner crowd a half hour before the reopening on Dec. 19.

On Dec. 19, Mt. Bachelor’s Skyliner Express reopened after breaking down just two weeks into the 2021-2022 season. Over the summer, lift crews replaced the old lift with an entirely new one. 

The new Skyliner increases the capacity from four people per chair, to six and is slightly shorter in length to help with traffic flow from other areas of the mountain. 

“I’m excited to have Skyliner back this year,” said Summit senior Frank Blackwelder. “Since Skyliner is such an important access chair for getting around the mountain and riding the park, it’s so much more convenient now.” 

To celebrate the reopening, Mt. Bachelor hosted a party at the base of the chair. Burritos, stickers, shirts, koozies and warm beverages were distributed to the stoked crowd. Although, the crowd wasn’t much larger than the typical line-up on a powder day.

“I’m surprised there aren’t more people here,” said a Mt. Bachelor employee, while in the life line. “Maybe it’s because of the lack of snow, or because it’s a Tuesday, but I was really expecting a large crowd.” 

Weather has been the biggest battle this ski season. A lack of snow caused Mt. Bachelor to delay the opening of the resort, then close down again days later after rain destroyed the snowpack. This was evident during the Skyliner opening, with many trails remaining ungroomed and peppered with caution signs denoting rocks, trees and patches of dirt exposed from the snow. 

“Sure the weather sucks, but we can’t change that, we’re all just stoked to have a working lift and all we can do is pray for snow and a better season,” said that Mt. Bachelor employee.