Don’t Doubt Depop

A look into the best online thrifting

Recently, online thrifting has become more and more popular throughout the halls of Summit High School. Students can buy affordable, unique items while simultaneously making easy money. The online thrifting alternative has become increasingly popular. There are various apps and websites people are using to buy thrifted clothing online, namely Depop, Poshmark, Grailed, Thred-up and other options as well. Although Poshmark is known for selling strictly clothes and accessories and Grailed oftentimes caters to the buyers, Depop encompasses both of these things while being known for much more as well. 

Senior Reese Campbell recently started taking on the role as seller on Depop. Campbell sells all sorts of items in her closet from tank tops to mini skirts and even trucker hats. Before she became a seller, Campbell regularly bought clothes on Depop.

“I’ve been able to find almost every single item of clothing I’ve ever wanted but couldn’t afford on the website,” said Campbell. 

One of Campbell’s favorite items of clothing she has bought on Depop came in about a week ago and consists of a cheetah print y2k inspired tank top. Campbell agrees that Depop is the way to go when you’re trying to thrift online and find niche pieces of clothing.

Not only does Depop have lots of unique items for sale, but it also takes less fees from the buyer. Depop takes 10% from your sale no matter the price of the item. Poshmark on the other hand, has a flat fee of $2.75 after they additionally take 15% of your sale. After that, the higher the price of the item listed, the higher percentage Poshmark takes from you. Definitely a rip off. 

Sophomore Egan Fridae is known for having a very extensive and fashionable Depop store. Fridae first heard about Depop through his sister, then decided to try it out for himself and now has been selling through the app for quite a while. Fridae has always stuck with Depop and claimed that Depop is the best thrifting available to teens, highlighting their better policy regarding fees.

“Depop is tailored towards the seller and pretty much anyone could download depop and start selling things in about five minutes, and there’s also not as many fees compared to Poshmark and Grailed,” Fridae said.

Senior Collin Moore also recently started selling clothes on Depop. Moore did say he hasn’t experimented with many other places, however, he still promotes Depop as the best for several reasons.

“On Depop it’s easy to reach out to people buying your clothes and communicate with them,” says Moore, “It’s also easier to ship out items unlike places like Grailed which makes it super confusing.”

Aside from having great alternative pieces for sale, less fees and making it easier to communicate with sellers, Depop reaches around 150 countries, making it very accessible . Depop also includes useful features such as being able to boost a listing and categorize it. As seen, Depop has an array of features that make it superior to other online thrifting options. Don’t be shy, try Depop for yourself!