Running Ahead in 5A

Hard work and camaraderie led Summit’s boys cross country team to second place at state
Photo courtesy of Layla Parker.

The Summit boys cross country team came in second place last month at the 5A state meet at Lane Community College. This is the best 5A state placing the team has had since 2015 when they won state the state 5A title.

“I was very proud of how we did as a team,” said Kirk Lord, a Summit senior. “After the seniors left, there was much less drama on the team.”

Lord placed 16th individually at state. Improvements were very clearly made this season, and the better team environment led the boys team to a new placing.

“There was a lot more stability in the team and we were able to get along really well,” said Lord, “We had a really strong bond with each other.”

After an impressive senior season, Lord says he wants to keep going, “I want to see how far I can take it, I want to win Olympic medals and all that.” 

“It was a fun season,” said sophomore Kaden Williams, who placed 11th individually.

Overall, Summit had a great season and new possibilities are on the horizon. A positive team environment and some great runners allowed Summit to reclaim their title, and hopefully do even better next season.