Summit Publications Succeed at Annual University of Oregon Media Day

Summit’s Yearbook team earned Best in Show for last year’s outstanding yearbook at the University of Oregon’s annual Fall Media Day on Dec. 5. One of News Staff’s writers also won fourth place in the feature writing competition.

The media day itinerary consisted of four sessions where students picked lessons to attend, including advice from professionals on writing, photography, digital design and more. 

Many schools competed, but Summit reigned supreme in the yearbook competitions. The Peak was awarded Best in Show out of hundreds of submissions for its 2022-2023 school yearbook. It earned a perfect 28 out of 28 on the scoring rubric, which ensured their win.

“I feel really proud of all the editors’ hard work last year and this year, and I’m very excited to have won Best in Show,” said editor-in-chief Layla Parker. “It’s really exciting to see all of our hard work pay off and get recognized.”

Last year’s yearbook featured a unique design, layout and color palette, which was easy to differentiate from other submissions. The theme “It Matters” represents all types of students. Whether you’re an athlete, a scholar or a club member, it matters.

“The design and the cover all came together really nicely. I also feel like our yearbook is very visually appealing overall, with the photos and the design of the pages,” Parker said. “We also do a good job representing a variety of students in our yearbook.”

A unanimous sense of pride exists within the yearbook editors and staff. Their combined efforts paid off and led to a beautiful result. 

“We tried really hard to make sure that the visuals were consistent and the verbal theme we were trying to get across, and I think we did a pretty good job of that,” said Audrey Marx, the design and copy editor. 

In addition to the Yearbook team’s triumph, The Pinnacle’s very own Lauren Shein earned fourth place out of hundreds of others for the Excellence in Features writing competition. Those competing were given only 50 minutes to produce a handwritten feature piece on the keynote speaker, journalist Heba Kanso. 

“I was surprised when I heard that I had placed in the competition, but also very excited,” Shein said. “It was very easy to write a feature about [Kanso] because I found everything she said about her passion for storytelling to be very relatable and inspiring.”

These victories only partially convey the true talent of Summit’s publication teams and will be the first of many. So be sure to check out the paper and purchase a yearbook!