Calling All (River) Surfers!

The new Summit Surf Club is making waves
Calling All (River) Surfers!

The new Summit Surf Club held their first meeting on Nov. 14 in the school’s library, aiming to garner interest for the upcoming season. While surf clubs are most often found in coastal areas, the increased popularity of “river waves” in the Pacific Northwest is delivering landlocked cities an opportunity to compete in their own way. 

Chip Conrad, a longtime surfer, father of teens and regular at Bend’s own whitewater park, founded the Summit Surf Club in order to get more involved with the community. Ultimately, he hopes to establish a similar group at all of the local high schools with the intention of creating a Central Oregon “surf league” and competitions hosted on the Deschutes.

“There are a few schools in America that have high schools by rivers with waves like this, and they have started up surf clubs,” said Conrad. “It works just like lacrosse would work.”

In order to become an official club, Conrad needs to find at least 10 committed surfers. Athletes would also have the opportunity to travel and compete at other river and standing waves located in Chelan, Washington and Boise, Idaho. For some, the Summit surf club could extend beyond river surfing! Trips to the coast would include surf competitions like the annual Cape Kiwanda Longboard Classic.

Zari de Brun, a Summit junior, has surfed at Bend Whitewater Park for approximately four years and attended the interest meeting on Nov. 14.

“I’m super excited to get better… and have fun with friends,” said de Brun.  Although, like many other students, de Brun is involved with other spring sports and concerned about the commitment required for the surf club.

Additionally, de Brun is worried about not having a lot of experience with ocean surfing, but Conrad has assured all interested students that anyone is welcome.

“Really the core focus is fun… our core values are not around how good you are,” explains Conrad. So grab a board and wetsuit, and contact the Summit Surf Club via one of the posters located throughout the school!