Annual Powderhound Preview: Camaraderie and Charity

Ahead of the ski season, locals, athletes and businesses gather to support nonprofits and filmmakers.
Image Courtesy of City of Bend

On Wednesday Nov. 15, almost 500 snowsport-lovers crowded the Tower Theater for the annual Powderhound Premier. The event, organized by Pine Mountain Sports, promised an exciting evening dedicated to watching independent films celebrating the love of the outdoors and raising funds for local charities. 

Now in its 22nd year, the Powderhound Preview continues to attract ski enthusiasts and local businesses, most recently selling out in only a matter of days. Proceeds from ticket and raffle sales go towards supporting the Central Oregon Avalanche Center and the Deschutes County Search and Rescue Foundation. Both organizations protect those recreating in Central Oregon through education, prevention and rescue, though Powderhound proves to be their lifeline as volunteer organizations with limited fundraising reach. 

The films are comprised entirely of footage featuring local skiers and boarders in their element, doing anything from cross-country skiing to cooking bacon atop Three Fingered Jack. Submitting entries to the Premier upholds the community-first nature of the event, encouraging novice and expert filmmakers alike to contribute their work, as long as it remains under six minutes in length. As each film played, cheers and applause filled the theater — regardless if the film was amature or professional or filmed on Mt. Bachelor or the Spanish Pyrenees — speaking volumes to the positive environment for all involved. 

“I felt very inspired,” said Jon DeGraaf, a Caldera junior and first time Powderhound attendee. “I felt inspired to ride and all of the films had one message; it was to have fun and enjoy each other’s company.”

During the middle of the event, Pine Mountain Sports owner and event host Dan McGarigle introduced the main fundraiser, the raffle. 

“Let’s set a goal of raising $15,000 tonight. We have $15,000 worth of raffle prizes up for grabs,” said McGarigle. “Including a Mt. Bachelor season pass, a $5,500 Juliana mountain bike and many, many more.” 

Pine Mountain Sports staff worked hard selling tickets prior to intermission. The goal was shattered with encouragement from McGarigle and the wealth of prizes. By the end of the night, and a large donation from Subaru of Bend, over $10,000 dollars was raised for each charity. 

In addition to the Avalanche Center and Search and Rescue, McGarigle introduced The Giving Plate, a local food pantry. Each year, Pine Mountain Sports selects a local charity to support for an entire year through PR and fundraising efforts; The Giving Plate was selected this year. 

“When we come together as a community we can make a difference,” said Ranae Staley, director of The Giving Plate, wrapping up a heartfelt speech introducing the charity. 

Multiple hands shot up around the room when McGarigle asked if others would join him in donating $500 to The Giving Plate. By the end of the night, over $5,800 was raised for The Giving Plate. 

After intermission, the film showings resumed, with attendees having supported local charities and immersing themselves in the excitement of the upcoming ski season

“I really enjoyed the message behind Powderhound and the effort to bring the community together,” said DeGraaf. “I most definitely felt the hype and support all around. Everyone was excited and I left the theater looking forward to another season up in the mountains.”