Oregon Conservation Campaign Launch

Oregon’s leap toward protecting the Owyhee Canyonlands
Photo taken by Rick Samco

The Protect Owyhee Campaign was launched by Oregon environmental groups and associated organizations on Sept. 6, calling for the permanent protection of the Owyhee Canyonlands before the end of 2024. The Conservation Science Partners determined that today, the Owyhee Canyonlands are one of the largest unprotected landscapes in the American West outside of Alaska. Its sagebrush-speckled desert, rushing rivers, and deep rugged canyons provide a home to more than 200 different animal species and 28 endemic plant species. In addition to its unique wildlife, the Owyhee holds cultural significance to the Paiute, Shoshone and Bannock tribes who have lived off the desert for generations. 

The success of this campaign would end with the Owyhee becoming a national monument and people from all outlooks of life coming together to protect Oregon’s wildlands. Through the legislative process of President Biden and the Antiquities Act, which allows the president to create national monuments, the campaign’s goal could come to fruition.

“Importantly, the vast, stunning, irreplaceable Owyhee is public lands–it belongs to all of us–and now we have an opportunity to protect the Canyonlands for generations to come!” said Mark Salvo, the Conservation Director at Oregon Natural Desert Association. The Owyhee’s protection would ensure the safety of wildlife and their habitat, as well as a way for the public to enjoy and experience intact wildlands.