Success in the Swim Lanes

Summit’s Swim Team Season Recap

Ava Bien, Staff Writer

Returning from Covid-19, Summit’s swim team came back strong with a remarkable season. Along with victories in many of the qualifying meets, Summit’s boys team placed first at the Mountain Valley Districts meet while the girls team came in second. 

Even though swimming is an individual sport, Summit’s success this season can be attributed to the support and competitive push from teammates.

“Everyone’s super supportive which makes people feel included and pushes people to do their best and not get too down in the dumps about mistakes.” said freshman Maddy Walsh, member of the swim team. 

At the Summit-hosted Bend City Invite, Summit broke Bend High’s six year winning streak. Summit came in first with the boys and girls teams overall combined score having nearly doubled the points of the next runner up. 

Out of the 22 events in this meet, athletes from Summit’s team placed first in 8 of them. 

“It was really cool to do so well, especially since we didn’t really have meets during covid,” said junior Thayer Collins, Summit’s boys team captain. 

Summit also hosted districts, the qualifying meet for states, and completely crushed, with an all around victory from the boys and a second place standing from the girls as well as individual and relay wins. 

With triumphs from the Summit boys in all three relay races, the 100 yard butterfly, 200 yard freestyle, 500 yard freestyle and wins from the girls in the 500 yard freestyle and the 100 yard backstroke, the storm teams were practically untouchable. 

Along with the wins, Summit had multiple other podium placements, qualifying them for the state championship. 

“After districts there was a lot of pressure leading up to states to keep doing as well as we had been,” Collins said. 

With Covid-19, it had been multiple years since a state’s meet, causing a ramp up in intensity, with harder practices and more pressure being put on the athletes.

Summit’s winning streak fell short at states, with both the boys and girls teams placing ninth overall, and the highest individual placement being one fourth place standing. 

Despite the losses at states, both the Summit boys and girls teams had incredible seasons, bringing in countless victories for the storm.