A Unique Surf Community

Man-made river wave changes Bend surf culture entirely

In a city two hundred miles away from the Pacific Ocean there is surf, and people are lining up to shred. There is a growing community of surfers in Bend Oregon, and it’s all because of a measly river wave. When you think of a surf community it’s on a beach, an ocean, salt and sand—but this one has none of that. This man-made wave next to Downtown Bend uses the flow of the river to create a constant rideable wave 24/7. 

The wave has brought a lot of tourism to the area and non-local surfers to check out this strange way to surf. Local surfer Ethan Vaness sees the river wave changing the Bend surf culture.

“It has definitely brought shapers to bend and just surfers in general.” Said Vaness.

Since its creation in September 2015, it has led to the opening of multiple surf shops selling hand-shaped fiberglass boards made for the local wave, hundreds of people to try surfing and some legends including “king of the pipeline” retired big wave surfer Gerry Lopez to move here for the surf. 

It’s nothing like a “normal” surf community. Although it is full of surfers just like anywhere else, it’s certainly a different type of surfer. Instead of waiting on the classic “lineup” to catch a wave you wait in a line for your turn. 

“It’s not just a surf community—it’s its own thing,” said avid river surfer Dane Webber.  “It has a different vibe than ocean surfing, so it attracts a different community.” This style of surfing is not necessarily better or worse than your typical surf, but simply a different fun time.