Summit Baseball Comes Out Swinging

The Storm won their first game of the season.

On March 12, the Summit baseball team defeated South Eugene High School in their first game of the season this year with a score of 5-1. 

“The highlight of the game was Slater [Debrun] diving catch in the outfield and me getting a ground ball at the beginning of the game.” Said Preston Sexson, a Summit junior and first baseman on the team.

“Preparation for this season has been difficult. We had only practiced on the field once before the game, so we had to grind it out,” said Slater DeBrun, a Summit junior and center fielder. He is looking forward to the coming season with this faith in the team. “We are very close as a team though, so our inexperience in the field didn’t matter in our first game. Our energy and [collectivism] took over.” 

Last year, the team won the Intermountain Conference (IMC), but got stopped in the first round of the playoffs after losing to La Salle by two points, 4-6.

“Almost all of our starting positions from last year graduated, so almost our entire team is new,” said Alex Via, a junior, and pitcher on changes from last year. “The only exceptions being CF [center field] and [Pitcher]. However, I don’t think it will hurt us having a big change like this because of how talented and close our team is this year.”