School Canceled After Bomb Threat

Suspect Arrested and Law Enforcement Believe There is No Longer any Danger to Summit

A threat posted on social media by an anonymous Summit student caused all classes and activities to be canceled at Summit High School on Monday, Sept.11. Bend Police and the FBI investigated the threat throughout the weekend and late Sunday night they arrested a 17-year-old suspect for first-degree disorderly conduct, a class C felony. 

On Sunday, Bend Police and Summit staff conducted a search of the school and found no evidence of any destructive devices that could threaten Summit High School or any other schools. Administrators considered doing backpack checks or not allowing backpacks at all in order to have school on Monday. Ultimately, law enforcement and district administrators determined it was best to keep students and staff out of school on Monday to allow Bend police to complete their security checks.

The post was made on an @shsconfessionsnew Instagram page, which has since been deleted, and reportedly contained threatening language directed toward Summit and comments about the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Additionally, the individual claimed to be planning to detonate an explosive device at school. Bend Police discovered the post after getting a tip through the SafeOregon program, an app located on each student’s iPad.

Bend-La Pine Schools released emails Sunday and Monday to students and families detailing the threat and expressing that “Bend-La Pine Schools is relieved this situation was resolved quickly and that no one was placed in harm’s way. We are also grateful that investigators were able to identify the responsible party, who now faces appropriate disciplinary consequences.”