The Summit Storm Golf Team Hits a Hole-in-One Season

The Boys Golf team makes history during this 2021-22 school year season

Abigail Toolan, Staff Writer

No matter the time or weather, you can always find the Summit Storm golf team swinging away, perfecting their technique on the range. The team’s spirit and dedication have led them to amazing achievements.

The boys started off the season winning the Cougar Invitational, an 18-hole tournament at Willamette Valley Country Club. They continued their winning streak and finished their season with another victory at the MVC District Tourney at Bend Golf and Country Club. The boys’ team broke the state’s highest classification on both days of competition. On the first day of the tournament, the team overall shot 16 below par over the 36 holes, which broke the 1967 Medford team’s record of 13-under par. On the second day of competition, the Storm broke the 18-hole record of performing 11-under which was held by Tualatin in 2011. 

Brody Grieb is a junior on the golf team and his hard work has helped him qualify for the state championship. On his first day, Grieb managed to pull off a 65 (6-under par). He continued to hold on to the lead on the second day with a 69.

“I wasn’t expecting to win state at all, especially going into the tournament with an injury. The best part was just being able to play,” Grieb said.

Grieb’s record-breaking performance secured the state title for the Summit team, their first state title since 2017. 

Sam Renner, a senior on varsity this year, has committed to Washington State University to pursue his golf career.  Renner has an average of scoring under par with a 70 or lower. Renner has impacted his team and paved a road for the generations to come. 

“The best part of the season was playing at the state tournament and winning state. I just love playing whenever I can,” Renner said.

Not to mention the girl’s golf team has excelled as well. The girls placed 6th in the state out of 14 teams and managed to finish the season on a strong end. They have competed locally around Bend and have made a few trips over the pass for competition in the valley. The time and effort that these girls have put into their golf game have definitely paid off. Hours upon hours on the range and the miles walked benefited. 

“The best part of the season was making really good friends and going to state because we all got to stay together and overall was a super fun weekend,” said junior Jada Richiwine, a member of varsity.

“The best party of the season was qualifying for state and having fun with my teammates. While still focusing on my season goal of shooting in the 70s,” said sophomore Saylor Gillet, member of varsity. 

The successes from both teams is incredible and with the talent that is leaving this year, new opportunities are going to be available. If you have always been interested in playing golf or are looking for a new hobby golf might be the right option for you!