The Thunder Pageant Strikes Again

11 couples have already surpassed last year’s total donations in order to support a local family in need

Wake-up videos, pageant preparations and fundraising campaigns are in full force, marking the beginning of the 2024 Thunder Pageant. The Pageant’s long-standing traditions of community engagement have significantly impacted the lives of members in our community through donations, and this year there has been record-breaking success.

The Thunder Pageant is set to take place on March 20, showcasing senior pairings, talents, dances and interviews. In previous years, the show brought in thousands of dollars through corporate sponsorships and ticket sales, although this year’s fundraisers have already surpassed previous year’s total earnings.

$55,110 has been raised for this year’s Sparrow, Quinn, who suffers from severe autoimmune pulmonary capillaritis. Since 2022, Quinn has been hospitalized 17 times because of her body attacking her blood vessels. Regardless of her medical condition, Quinn loves to ride her bike around Bend and play with her four dogs. 

In order to support Quinn, all interested senior couples were invited to raise as much money as possible through events hosted at restaurants and entertainment establishments, as well as  community donations. This year, the 11 highest-raising couples are moving on to compete in the Thunder Pageant (the overall earnings were so close that 11, not ten, were chosen). 

One of the top three teams so far is Max Himstreet and Lilann Hammack with $9,654 raised. Their most successful fundraiser was a tennis tournament held at the Athletic Club of Bend where members of the tennis community flocked to support their campaign.

In second, Lexi Mead and Kian Taylor have raised $6,572 through their various events.

“Kian and I did [a fundraiser at] Mountain Burger which was a huge hit and working the concessions stand raised us a ton of money and tips,” said Summit senior Lexi Mead.

Finally, Paige Parton and Collin Moore have raised $5,410, primarily by reaching out to family friends and the community. 

The Thunder Pageant has been a long-standing tradition at Summit, bringing the senior class together while also getting the whole community of Bend involved. Underclassmen look forward to getting involved during their senior year. As an underclassman, Summit senior Collin Moore helped out behind the scenes.

“Watching and helping backstage showed me how fun the Thunder Pageant is,” said Moore when asked about his motivation for joining the pageant this year. 

The Thunder Pageant is undoubtedly a serious time commitment for couples who would like to get involved with biweekly dance practices, interviews, fundraisers and pageant rehearsals. Yet, it has remained a lasting symbol of senior year. 

“I feel like it’s a stepping stone of senior year, and I get to help someone else out. Both of my brothers did the Thunder Pageant and I had to keep it going in my family,” said Mead. 

Emerson Williams, a Summit junior, is running the pageant this year after having watched it during her freshman and sophomore years. Williams is motivated to ensure that the entire community is involved, not only the seniors. 

“We also see teachers getting involved, whether that is supporting the Thunder couples, or for instance, Mrs. Carroll actually taking the time out of her day to practice with the kids and choreograph the dance,” said Williams. “We also see a wider spectrum of individuals who look to show gratitude by showing up to fundraisers, being corporate sponsors, and donating money to the Thunder couples and ultimately Quinn.”