Another Year, Another Win

U of O hockey plays at the local Pavilion

The University of Oregon returned to play at The Pavilion, winning five to one against the University of Washington in both games on January 19 and 20. The Ducks have come to The Pavilion for three consecutive years to play two games here. Each year, the game brings in thousands of fans and travelers to watch the two nights of fun. 

“I really enjoyed how fast-paced the game was, and the energy in the audience,” said Summit junior Abigail Billiter after going to the first game. This was echoed by junior Zoe Armor, as well as sophomore Emerson Root, who all absolutely loved the game. 

Hockey combines stress for the safety of the players but also the excitement of the sport. Falling on the ice while sharp skates fly around is no joke, but the U of O team plays each game with grace. It is Jackson Hyman’s first year of coaching for the Ducks, and he loves staying connected to the game without playing and getting to travel the country with the team.

“The Bend community has opened their arms to us over the past few years and their support and love for our team has been incredible,” said Hyman. “We come to Bend to thank them for all of their support and let them know that it doesn’t go unnoticed. We may be a 2-3 hour drive away, but it’s still home to us.”

The Pavilion always has local games going on, as well as family-friendly times open for free skating and ice skating lessons, but hosting college hockey teams has to be one of the greatest events. The games bring in the community as well as travelers. The teams are respectful to the facility and bring enough excitement to fill the seats for both games.