Turn Your Hobby Into a Hustle

Summit students are entering the world of entrepreneurship

You are covered in dirty dishwater. After spending seven excruciatingly long hours at school and another 15 minutes sitting in traffic, you arrive at work to a bottomless pile of ketchup covered plates and impossible to scrub pans. It’s time to spend your limited free time cleaning up other people’s messes for a measly $14.20 an hour. Is it worth it? Most Summit students would rather stay broke. With schedules filled to the brim by sports and other extracurriculars, work becomes yet another time-consuming, tedious activity. So what’s the solution?

Not only at Summit, but nationwide, teenagers are turning to entrepreneurship as a creative solution to this problem. Instead of continuing to work mind numbing minimum wage jobs, teens are getting paid to do what they love: and it’s more common than most would think. 

According to the Guardian, in the past decade the amount of teens who are choosing to start their own business has increased eightfold. The study also explains that this increase is largely due to advancements in technology and the spike of social media usage. As more people promote their businesses through apps like Instagram, TikTok, Depop and Etsy, their consumer outreach expands, and more teens are drawn to this accessible way to sell their products.

Creating products that range from clothing and jewelry to art and other commissions, these teens are reshaping the stereotypical 9-5. A traditional work environment isn’t ideal for most high schoolers, so many Summit students have resorted to taking things into their own hands…

Abby Laughlin

@abbs.artwork

Abby Laughlin is a senior who does art and jewelry commissions. Her products include earrings, wire wrapped stone necklaces, rings, custom art and birthday cards. She mainly sells her products to Summit students, and occasionally a few friends.

“I’ve always liked art, but jewelry seemed like something a lot of people were interested in and I started experimenting with it a couple of years ago and found it really fun,” said Laughlin.

She began selling products in her freshman year of high school and continues to do so. Her jewelry typically sells for $10-15, and the pricing of her art depends on size and medium, as well as her custom birthday cards. Laughlin enjoys this fun pastime, because her art seems to make people happy.

Outside of her side gig, Laughlin is a water polo goalie, jazz choir member and an avid reader. She’s currently working on building up her brand through social media. To purchase any of her products simply DM her on instagram—you won’t regret it.

Poppy Donnell

@poppydonnell

depop.com/poppydonnell 

Poppy Donnell is a sophomore and has recently, like many others, started to sell clothes on Depop. She uploads clothes for sale that are either thrifted or straight from her closet and gets around two sales per week, with prices ranging from $5-50. Donnell describes her style as a blend of vintage and streetwear, which she incorporates into her thrift purchases.

She began selling clothes on Depop because of her interest in thrifting and because—like most teenagers—she wanted to make some money. 

“Yes, [teens selling their products] has definitely become more popular. People need money, there are a lot of side hustles and this is an easily accessible one for teens,” explained Donnell.

Because Depop is an entirely online platform, most of Donnell’s customers are strangers, however a few Summit students follow her. Not only does she sell on Depop, but Donnell also enjoys drawing, painting and going up to the mountain in her free time. If you’re in need of a wardrobe update, Donnell’s Depop is a great place to start.

Hazel Donnelly

@hd_customwoodburning

hdcustomwoodburning.square.site 

Hazel Donnelly is a sophomore, newly-turned wood burner. Having just begun her business at the beginning of February, Donnelly sells custom wooden tags with engraved pictures and words on them. 

She currently has a website and Instagram page for her small business, having just begun this craft after seeing others wood burning online.

“Social media influenced me to start my custom wood burning because of this lady that does it on TikTok,” explained Donnelly. 

Currently, she sells her wooden tags for a cheap $2. Simply request a design or send a photo in for Donnelly, and she’ll recreate it for you. Although, the price rises to $3 if you would like a ribbon attached to the tag.

“I’m trying to really build my business and figure out all the little things,” explained Donnelly.

She also has an upcoming Valentine’s Day collection, consisting of unique, wood burned versions of Valentines. These special tags will be sold for $5.

Outside of her new hobby, Donnelly is a bike racer, water polo player, swimmer, DJ and skier. If you’re looking for a fun gift for a friend, or even for yourself, you’ve landed in the right place.

Andra Lavik

@handpickedbyandra

depop.com/andrasthriftshop

Andra Lavik is a junior who sells handmade necklaces, earrings, bracelets and occasionally rings. She’s been making jewelry for about six months and has just recently begun to sell it. 

Lavik tries to make her products as reasonably priced as she can, knowing that most of her consumers are high school students. Yet pricing differs depending on if the jewelry is purchased locally, or if it’s being sold on her Depop.

“I try to price [my jewelry] based on how long it took me to make, and how much I would pay for it. So I try to make it more affordable, or if I took a long time on it, I make [the cost] a little higher,” explained Lavik.

She uses Instagram and Depop to promote her products and her outreach.

“There’s so many easy side hustles that you can do now with social media, and so many easy ways of making money,” said Lavik.

When she’s not making jewelry she enjoys writing songs, traveling and meeting new people. Reach out to her for some cute and unique jewelry.

Egan Fridae

@big_eggie

depop.com/efridae

Egan Fridae is a sophomore who thrifts and resells clothing on Depop. He began his Depop journey about a year ago, wanting to follow in the footsteps of his big sister (who also re-sold clothing in high school). 

So far, Fridae has sold about 20 items and has made a little over $1,000. He’s been able to turn his interest in fashion into a fun way to make money.

“I’ll go out with friends to the $10 [Old Boy Vintage sale] and [Regroup’s] bins and stuff like that so I can get more stuff to sell,” said Fridae.

However, selling clothes on Depop isn’t the only way Fridae wants to make an income, and isn’t a long term occupation for him.

“[Depop is] a nice way to earn some pocket change I put back into clothes,” explained Fridae.

Meaning, the change that Fridae earns is largely used to go out and buy more clothes that he will later resell online, usually for around $50-100.

He refers to himself as “just a busy guy” who skateboards, snowboards, surfs … and pretty much any other activity involving a board. If you’re looking to update your wardrobe or want some fashion inspiration, look no further than Fridae’s Depop shop.