Bounce Back

Summit Football Rebounds With Dominant Win Over Ridgeview
Bounce+Back

It didn’t take long for the Storm to show new life in Friday’s Intermountain Conference (IMC) opener against the Ridgeview Ravens. For Summit, the defending 5A state champions have proved the last two seasons that they are Central Oregon’s top football team, Friday’s night’s 63-0 win over Ridgeview was all about sending a message. The Storm had lost their previous two games, to tough, non-conference opponents in Sherwood and Wilsonville. After coming up short against some of the best teams in the state, the doubters were beginning to rise. 

Six minutes into the foggy Friday night lights showdown, the game was all but won. The first three times the Summit offense touched the ball, they found the endzone with utmost ease. The defense also contributed to the fast start by forcing three interceptions on the Ravens’ first three drives. As Storm offense continued trucking down the field, the game had become out of reach. The score was 50-0 at halftime, which invoked OSAAs running clock rule. Per OSAA, if a 35-point score differential occurs at halftime or anytime thereafter, a running clock shall be used. The race was now against the clock, and getting to the homecoming festivities.

“We were eager to make a statement after playing the toughest preseason schedule in Oregon, that’s all,” said senior lineman Zach High.

“We definitely sent a message to the rest of the conference. I think the other IMC teams looked at our 1-3 record and doubted our capability, but putting up 63 unanswered points in our league opener shut them down,” said senior tight end Charlie Crowell.

Senior quarterback Jimmy Hughes threw three touchdown passes, connecting twice with Crowell. Hughes also ran for two touchdowns on quarterback sneaks.

Sophomore running back Dylan Hughes added two rushing touchdowns to the box score along with one from Junior running back Taylan Kinsella. 

Junior linebacker Sawyer Crocker had a standout game against the Ravens, bringing in an interception, a blocked punt, and a punt return for a touchdown.

Junior cornerback Cutler Hobin hauled in an interception of his own. “I was surprised at first but once I got up and saw all my boys and the crowd going crazy, I got excited and started celebrating with my team,” said Hobin.

After the Storm faced a very challenging non-league schedule, recording only one win with four losses, Summit showed that they can still dominate and hope to carry this momentum with them throughout league play.