The “A” in VMA Should be Lowercase

The 2023 Video Music Awards were four hours of rapid performances that left hardly any room for the awards themselves

Headache-inducing strobe lights and coordinated risqué dances at the 2023 Video Music Awards (VMAs) stole recognition from nominated artists. MTV’s VMAs have become one of the most anticipated award ceremonies, but the “A” in VMA was not at the forefront of the night. 

Twenty-five awards were presented—in a nearly four hour broadcast—to various artists. Between the announcements, musicians such as Shakira, Doja Cat, Olivia Rodrigo, Stray Kids, and Måneskin—to name only a few— took to the stage. 

Despite Artist Of The Year being one of the most anticipated awards, the show ended without its reveal. Twelve other categories–from Album of The Year to Show of the Summer–were also not announced. 

Although sitting through lesser anticipated categories such as Best Editing typically leaves viewers impatient, failing to broadcast them undermines the importance those categories hold. Nonetheless, in order to gain views, advertising big performances from well known artists has been proven successful. 

“It’s only natural to show music at a music award ceremony,” said Summit sophomore Reily Weisgerber, “but in the end, it’s an award ceremony.” Award shows are meant to honor the work of artists, yet they have become a guise for flashy entertainment. Though it’s not wrong to want to shake your hips to ten minutes of Shakira, creators deserve a deeper appreciation of their craft.