NO DUNKING!

The Bend Park and Recreation basketball season is finally underway
NO+DUNKING%21

The Bend Park and Recreation high school basketball season started Sunday, Jan. 21 after the initial first game was canceled on Jan. 14 due to the weather conditions. This year, there are five teams participating in the league, the knights, ducks, pioneers, mountaineers and wildcats. 

Distinct from other basketball competitions, one of the special rules in the BPRD league prohibits dunking. This rule is typically in place to prevent aggressive or forceful plays around the basket. Allowing dunking could lead to increased physical contact, potentially causing injuries or conflicts among players.

Additionally, it may impact the fairness of the game if certain players have a significant advantage in dunking ability. The rule aims to maintain a level playing field and prioritize player safety. 

Dunking can actually be an effective and powerful way to score; still, there are players who complain about the rule and talk about violating the rule in the game since dunking is actually officially legal in the NBA. 

“Yes, that [no dunking rule] made me frustrated,” said Preston Sexson, a Summit junior who is a center and power forward on the park and rec Ducks. “They (the league should move out of Cascade Middle School and go to COCC because they have better facilities that allow players to dunk.” Cascades gym is not equipped with new enough rims to make dunking safe meaning as long as the league stays there the rule will remain.  Players are optimistic about a location or rule change in the near future.