Summit Girls Basketball Beats Sprague

In the first home game of the year, Summit emerges victorious

he Summit girls varsity basketball team beat Sprague 49-41 in a home game last Friday. After a close first quarter, Summit pulled ahead and maintained the lead until the end. 

Head coach Lynnette Landis noted that Sprague’s occasional half court defense took Summit out of their offensive sets. 

“Once we figured that out, our girls came back and started shooting again,” said Landis. 

Offensively, Summit got the ball to its best shooters. Sophomore Kalyn Christ led the team with 14 points, nine of which were from beyond the three point line. Junior Kalia Durfee added ten points. Senior Dakota Tol and freshman Kennedy Bollom each had seven points. 

Sophomore Reese Aunchman led the team with ten rebounds. 

Defensively Summit thrived, as they held Sprague’s best player to only five points in the first half, and steals that lead to Summit points. Christ led the team with four steals, and Auchman followed with three. Christ also shut down Sprague’s shooters with three blocks. 

Reflecting on the game’s highlights, Durfee remarked on the team’s improved chemistry. “I feel like we’ve struggled with chemistry lately in practice, and it came together in that game really well.” 

Durfee also noted the unique change in team dynamic as her younger sister, freshman Jade Durfee, joined the varsity team this year. The long-standing connections between sisters adds another layer to team chemistry that will aid in team, and individual, performance. 

“It’s so cool we’ve talked about her going to Summit for years and years,” said Kalia Durfee, “It’s really interesting with the team chemistry. Because of course I’ve never known anyone as long as I’ve known Jade.” 

The familial qualities of the team, their determination, and their ability to adapt will undoubtedly shape their performance in the rest of the season.