Saying No to Negativity

How @summit_positivity is keeping to its name

It’s never been easier for Summit students to anonymously shame and spread secrets about each other on the internet. While it’s just as easy to spread kindness and compliments on social media platforms, the majority choose the former.

Now, a new Summit Instagram account has been created specifically for this reason. Scrolling on @summit_positivity, one finds screenshots of Google Forms surveys that have been filled out by Summit students, consisting of compliments towards classmates and comments praising the account creator. In the account’s bio, it states that it’s “like Summit Confessions, but only positive posts.”

The creator of the positivity account decided to make the account after seeing so many posts on Summit confessions, an account known for making fun of and slandering Summit students and staff. Summit confessions is filled almost entirely with negative comments and posts, and they could only imagine how being called out made others feel and affected their lives.

“I just wanted to make an account that would spread some positivity and make people feel good,” said the anonymous account creator.

The positivity account currently has 126 followers and 26 posts, which isn’t even close to the 503 followers and 713 posts that the negative account has. Unfortunately, this makes it clear where Summit students’ priorities are held, and what teenagers would rather pay attention to.

This issue is the lack of activity being submitted onto the positivity account; it seems that students are more hesitant to share a nice comment about someone than they are to spread a mean one. When asked if they would ever submit a compliment on the account, students’ answers were inconsistent. While some support the account’s message and would happily submit a survey, others aren’t as committed.

Summit confessions gained its popularity by posting slander towards students. The only known solution for stopping the account is reporting certain posts or messaging the account and asking them to take down a confession.

“[The positivity account] won’t stop people from also posting on Summit confessions. I know a couple of the pages have been taken down, and that’s really the only way to stop the threats,” said Summit junior Jonathan Cupit, who follows the positivity page.

However, according to an article by SUCCESS (an inspiration and advice magazine), performing random acts of kindness not only benefits the kindness receiver, but also benefits the giver. 

SUCCESS explains that “helping behavior increases positive emotions, which increases our sense of meaning, regulates our physical and emotional reactions to stressors, and increases longevity,” which many Summit students could benefit from.

Submitting a compliment on the positivity account is the perfect way to practice sharing this kindness with others as well as help oneself at the same time. And while sharing a compliment won’t be enough to stop the negative account, the positivity creator’s hope is to help students feel good about themselves.

“[@summit_positivity] can give people a little hope that Summit isn’t a place of constant hate and negativity,” said the creator.

There’s no doubt that being on the receiving end of kindness can make someone’s day, and those who have gotten featured on @summit_positivity can agree.

Summit sophomore Ava Sanderl was posted as the “best sophomore at summit” along with other posts complimenting students on their characteristics and friendliness.

“I felt surprised that I was on it and it was very unexpected, but the message was very nice,” said Sanderl.

It’s never been easier to compliment somebody. Whether it’s on others’ style, personality or talents, all a student has to do is click a few buttons and push submit.

“[@summit_positivity] is encouraging people to uplift each other instead of take each other down,” said sophomore Violet Rodhouse, a positivity account follower.

So next time you’re scrolling through the most recent negativity posts, consider clicking onto @summit_positivity and leaving a compliment. You never know how much someone may need it.