The Next Era of Covid-19

Recent FDA approval brings updated vaccines

As cold and flu season descends upon us this fall, updated COVID-19 vaccines received FDA approval for all Americans on Sept. 14. The arrival of these new shots prompts a major shift in the way COVID-19 is being mitigated. 

Instead of referring to the new vaccine as an “updated booster,” like past series have been, the new shots are shifting away from this language. 

“Bye bye booster… it’s going to be very difficult to stop using that word because it has become pervasive,” said Dr. Keipp Talbot, a CDC Advisor, during a webinar hosted by the Infectious Diseases Society of America on Sept. 14.

Additionally, the updated COVID vaccine is monovalent, meaning it only targets one variant of the virus, a contrast from previous bivalent vaccines and boosters. 

The necessity of this new shot is difficult to determine, as Oregon has not reported positive COVID-19 tests since May 2023. However, hospitalizations suggest that cases within the state have been rising, according to data collected by the CDC. During the week of Sept. 9, 249 new patients were admitted with COVID-19 infections, a stark increase from this July, when hospitalizations were at an average of 76 people per week.

At Summit, students return to class and it remains unknown if the prevalence of Covid-19 will rise alongside the flu and colds. Regardless, the rollout of updated vaccines provides another opportunity for those who want to protect themselves further.