Flaked Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Taken by Lina McDonald

Lina McDonald, Staff Writer

For students who are crunched on time but still want to relax, baking cookies is the ideal way to make something you’ll enjoy! These chocolate chip cookies are delicious, chock-filled with velvety layers of chocolate and best of all, they only take half an hour of prep work! Perfect for those who need a good study snack, they are sure to sweeten your day!

2 cups all-purpose flour

¼ cup bread flour

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons unsalted butter

½ cup white sugar

¾ cup brown sugar

1 egg plus one egg yolk, at room temperature

1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

1 ½ cups assorted chocolate, either chopped bars or in chip form 

Flaked sea salt, to top

Several ice cubes

1. Brown the butter in a small saucepan at medium heat, stirring regularly so it does not stick to the bottom. When the butter starts to smell nutty, remove from heat and immediately pour into a glass measuring cup. Into the measuring cup, add ice cubes until the butter reaches the ¾ cup line (this is a great substitute for water, which evaporates during the browning process). Set the butter aside and let it cool off.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together both all-purpose and bread flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine both sugars and butter and beat with a mixer until smooth and combined, about 2 minutes. On low speed, add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla, mixing until combined in between each addition. Beat the mixture until it is pale yellow, fluffy and thick. 
  4. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Fold in the chocolate.
  5. Cover the cookie dough and place it in the fridge for at least 3 hours, ideally overnight to develop the best flavor.
  6. After the dough has cooled, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
  7. Remove the dough from the fridge and form it into 2-3 tablespoon balls. If the dough is too cold to handle, let it warm up for a few minutes at room temperature, then place the balls 1-2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
  8. Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes or until they are just beginning to brown around the edges and hold their shape. They will look underbaked, however, do not leave them in for any longer as they will keep setting on the baking sheets.
  9. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the tops with flaked sea salt. Leave the cookies to cool on the sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack or plate to let them cool completely. Enjoy!