By: Brooke Leggat
In my countless hours of browsing the web (and TikTok, of course), I have learned over this unprecedented time of quarantine to get creative with my cooking. With shelves in grocery stores completely cleared of even the simplest ingredients, I have relied on what I already have in my house, and the results have been nothing shy of incredible. Whether you have five ingredients, or 20, five minutes or three hours, these three recipes might lighten your spirits, and get you and your family together to create immaculate dishes and have fun in the process.
Four Ingredient Pasta
If you’re like me, never in my wildest dreams did I think that I could make homemade pasta, from scratch. Even more shocking, it only takes four basic pantry ingredients. No matter if you have a pasta cutter stashed away, or you just want to roll it out by hand, this recipe works for everyone. Grab your family members, and make this delicious and simple pasta recipe, courtesy of tasty.co (https://tasty.co/recipe/fresh-pasta-dough).
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups of flour (all-purpose
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 2 full eggs and 6 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- All details for preparation to create the homemade pasta dough is listed on Tasty’s website: https://tasty.co/recipe/fresh-pasta-dough
- While you may use any preferred pasta sauce of your choice, I made a simple sauce by melting butter with 3 tbsp of minced garlic, and slowly added in my drained pasta as the garlic began to brown. In addition, I added 1 cup of leftover pasta water into the sauce, as well as parmesan cheese on top. This sauce perfectly complemented the homemade pasta, and added a great personal touch. Again, red sauce, or any topping you choose will work perfectly with the versatile nature of the pasta from scratch. Add in whatever vegetables you may have on hand— mushrooms, onions and spinach all work well here.
- My dad and I spent around two hours between creating the initial dough, letting it set, rolling it out, and cooking. Not only was it a fun and new experience, but it created an amazing end result that received 5 stars in my household from my quarantined family members.
“To Die For” Blueberry Muffins
You can never go wrong with muffins, which is why this fool-proof and simple blueberry muffin recipe is perfect for your quarantine sweet-tooth desires. In less than an hour, you can use basic pantry and fridge ingredients to create a mouth-watering result. Courtesy of allrecipes.com (https://www.allrecipes.com/video/2654/to-die-for-blueberry-muffins/)
What You’ll Need: Muffin Body:
- Muffin pan to hold at least 8 muffins
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cups white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup vegtable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
What You’ll Need: Crumb Topping:
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- All details for preparation will be listed on allrecipes.com, at https://www.allrecipes.com/video/2654/to-die-for-blueberry-muffins/
- These delicious creations were a piece of cake (literally) and tasted delicious! My family and I were so pleased with how these turned out, my dad even went as far to say that these were the best blueberry muffins he’d ever had. In retrospect, these muffins received an 11/10 rating from my household.
4 Ways of Edible Cookie Dough
Quick! Name something better than cookie dough in 5…,4…,3…,2…,1…, see how you couldn’t think of anything? We all know that cookie dough is superior to the actual cookie, so why shouldn’t we be able to eat it freely without fear of a stomach ache or disease? Not to worry, this easy cookie dough recipe is perfect for a quick fix of this classic desert, with ingredients laying around in your pantry. Even better, Tasty provides a customizable range for 4 different flavors. Courtesy of tasty.co, https://tasty.co/recipe/edible-cookie-dough-4-ways.
What You’ll Need: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- All details for preparation are listed on Tasty’s website: https://tasty.co/recipe/edible-cookie-dough-4-ways
- In my book, you can’t beat cookie dough. This sweet treat took minimal preparation time and exceeded my expectations in terms of its flavor. It perfectly corresponded with real cookie dough, though having an altered ingredient makeup for safe consumption. This one gets a 5 star rating from me.
In the event that you find yourself unable to find any of these ingredients in your home, there is no need to venture out. Fear not, supercook.com to the rescue. Not only does it provide recipes of all calibers including dinners, deserts, snacks, etc., but will plug in what recipes you can make based on the ingredients that you have at home. Just simply fill in the boxes of the ingredients that you can find and boom, recipes galore, just for you.