Summit Boy’s Basketball Advances into the Semi-finals after Win Against Roosevelt

Kol Doan, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Mar. 9, in the Oregon 6A basketball state tournament at the Chiles Center in Portland, Oregon, the Summit Boys Varsity basketball team claimed victory over Roosevelt High School.

Coming into the game, Summit was the 2 seed, and Roosevelt the 7th. The game was a nailbiter, going back and forth all night. The Chiles center roared all game, with big moment after big moment. At one point in the 3rd quarter the Storm were down by 10, but quickly fought back to tie the game. From then on, the game swung back and forth, with leads getting no bigger than 2 points. With 4.6 seconds left, and the Storm down by 1, Summit senior Julian Mora was fouled and sent to the free throw line. The building shook with noise, as Mora stepped up to the line, he missed the first. The Roosevelt crowd cheered with relief, once again Mora went to the line. Again a miss, the building fell silent as Summit senior Caden Harris wrestled for the rebound. Harris put up a desperation shot with 1 second left but missed. Suddenly, Mora soared through the air and grabbed the ball as it dropped to the floor, heaving it back up and into the basket at the buzzer. The Storm won 65-64.

Summit is set to take on 11th seeded Mountainside High School on Friday.